Saturday, November 23, 2013

Aeroplane Bag, in progress.

I had been ignoring the Sew Sweetness Bag contest happening over at Sew Mama Sew! because I have so many things I am working on with a Christmas deadline, and it's got a December 13th deadline.  Considering I've had her pattern for a wallet printed out for a month waiting, I figured if I couldn't get around to making that, a bag was out of the question.

DOH!!!
NEVERTHELESS, I don't make sense, so I got started on her Aeroplane pattern.  I'm happy with how it's turning out, and as I also did the Amy Butler Weekender SAL, felt a bit better about making another large bag, and prepared to keep it from being another floppy mess.

basted interior pocket on top, pinned on bottom
Right now I'm at a bit of a stall, because I did a stupid thing.  I'd been going off my printout of the PDF, which wasn't great quality, so without a clear picture (and her pictures ARE great, I just guess it's time for a new printer) sewed my zipper in upside down on the main panel.

Instead of stopping and checking before sewing the lining on, I sewed that on too and now have a choice.  I can try to do this, and mess with the zipper, or I can rip the whole thing out.  I will probably rip the whole thing out, but ugh!  I am taking a break for a couple days and working on other things.

I also liked sewing in the zippered pockets the way they were set up, and I have a tip if you're having problems, as it was difficult to pin through the layers of fabric and zipper and hold it in place.  I used pins for the first one, then grabbed a bit of 505 adhesive spray basting for the second one.  I'm sure you can see even with my less than awesome photography skills, the difference in the picture, the pinned one is all ripply, and the basted one stayed nice and flat.

2 comments:

  1. I've been considering making this, but my zipper installation skills are pretty beginner. Can't wait to see how it turns out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, don´t be to mad about you. It will be gorgeous at the end

    ReplyDelete